The Director-General has approved the Call for Submission of Essays for the 2017 Academic Staff Essay Competition as well as the Topic for the essay competition which is: ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA USING THE FUNDAMENTAL OBJECTIVES AND DIRECTIVE PRINCIPLES OF STATE POLICY: A MYTH OR REALITY?
The overarching objective of the competition is to promote research and writing skills among research fellows below the level of RFI so that they acquire the necessary skills and experience for contemporary academic writing and thinking in line with the core mandate of the Institute.
The Guidelines for Submission for the Academic Staff Essay Competition must be strictly adhered to thus:
1. Essays must be submitted on or before the 30th of May 2017.
2. Essays submitted for the academic staff essay competition must not have been submitted for publication in any academic journal or social media.
3. The footnote references should be OSCOLA, double spaced, 12 theme fonts size in Times New Roman for the body of the essay and 10-point single spaced for footnotes. Character spacing must be set to normal. All essays must be on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm with 1 inch (2.54cm) margins all around.
4. The essay should not exceed 5,000 words, including quoted matter and citations. Footnotes are not part of the word count.
5. Only one submission will be accepted per entrant.
6. By submitting an entry to the competition, each entrant gives NIALS all rights, including copyright, to the entry and express permission to edit and publish the entry in any forum without limitation and without any other notice.
8. The Secretariat shall acknowledge all entries via e-mail within 2days of receipt.
9. The Institute reserves the right not to give the Award to any of the entrants in the event that the submitted essays do not, in the opinion of the Panel, meet the minimum requirement of a pass mark of 50points.
Academic staff participating in the competition must also note the following aspects of grammar and academic writing skills while writing their essay:
a. Writing style – argumentative/analytical
c. Sentence Structure
e. Structure of essay
f. Reference – OSCOLA
g. Critical thinking
h. Jurisprudence (theoretical and philosophical foundations for arguments)
i. Interdisciplinarity of research
j. Adequate reference to other literature and documents.