PUBLIC LAW DEPARTMENTAL BRIEF
- Objective and Mandate: The Public Law department’s mandate is to continuously build upon the work of the institute. Within the broad area of Public law, the department sponsors speakers series called the “Public Law Colloquium” which brings together under different yearly themes, researchers and practitioners who work in the field of public law. To foster discussions, the department holds occasional roundtables on the various areas of public law. The department researches questions in the area of constitutional law, human rights law, administrative law, tax law, criminal law as well as all procedural law. Public Law department is proud of its quarterly newsletter.
- Staff Strength
Head of Department:
Dr (Mrs) Ibe Okegbe-Ifeakandu
- Professor D. A. Guobadia (Professor of Law & Former DG)
- Dr. Udombana Ngozi Justina (Associate Professor/Head of SPGS)
- Oluwagbami David Akinola (Senior Research Fellow)
- Dr. Fatima Waziri-Azi (Research Fellow 1)
- Dr. Okupkon Adesanya Irepitan (Research Fellow I)
- Uche Onyinyechi Liian (Research Fellow II)
- Kenechukwu Chinenye Mbajiorgu (Research Fellow)
- Azoro – Amadi Oluchi (Research Fellow II)
- Ogwuda Ebele Gloria (Research Fellow II)
- Popoola Benjamin Sijuade (Assistant Research Fellow)
3. Programmes : Previous and Ongoing
3.1. Courses: Six courses were domiciled in Public Law Department and they include:
- Government Legal Advisers Course (stream 1 & 2).
- Legal Writing Skills (stream 1 & 2).
- Training Workshop on Freedom of Information Act & its Applications (stream 1 & 2).
- 35th Advanced Course in Practice and Procedure and Negotiations.
- Public Prosecutors Course (Stream 1 &2).
- Workshop on Seizure and Forfeiture of Proceeds of Crime.
- NIALS Journal of Law and Development.
- NIALS Constitutional Law Reform Journal.
- NIALS Journal of Law and Gender.
- NIALS Environmental Law Journal.
- NIALS law and public policy.
- Annual Survey of Nigerian Law.
3.3. Workshop Participation
- 3 day workshop tagged “Putting our best foot forward: The Judiciary and the Challenges of satisfying Judicial needs of the 21st century” organized by NBA/UNODC held on the 7th -9th of July 2014.
- Workshop organized by the Law Reform Commission on the Reform of Dishonoured Cheques (Offences) Act held on 18 November 2014.
- Public hearing on the Electoral Accountability Project of the National Human Rights Commission held on the 23rd and 24th of July 2014.
- Training Workshop on Human Rights and Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism (Prosecution) Nigeria held on the 16th -19th September 2014 and UNODC Specialized Training on the prosecution of terrorism in Nigeria held on 24th – 27th November 2014.
- Stakeholders Consultation on Assisting the National Preventive Mechanism and Implementation of the OPCAT in Nigeria held on the 4th of December 2014.
- Paper presentation at a one-day workshop/training for Magistrates and Prosecutors in the FCT on the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015. Organized by the Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errands (CURE-NIGERIA), which held on the 1st of December 2015.
- Fraud in Sports: Organized on the 12th of May 2015.