Date: 21-23 May, 2018
ABOUT NIALS - The Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS) was established in March 1979, as Nigeria’s apex institution for research and advanced studies in law. The Institute is also accredited to offer Mandatory Continuing Legal Education for Lawyers. In fulfilment of its mandate, it organises national and international seminars, symposia, conferences, workshops and lectures on any branch of law and related subjects.
ABOUT THE COURSE - The first and most important duty of the legal adviser is to among others advise the government of existing international law in respect to particular issue, problem or situation. One question that have been constantly asked by many is “What is actually the work of a legal adviser? What occupational activities consume his working day?” The Course is designed in such a way as to explore major aspects of professional and conceptual relevance.
The aim of the course is to acquaint law officers with issues critical to the role of a legal adviser
- To know how Sustainable development goals are adapted into Legal and Institutional reforms,
- To ensure that law officers are conversant with the public-private sector relationships in Nigeria,
- To discover the regulatory laws of rulemaking and enforcement at the NIALS Training Course on Government legal advisers/law officers.
- To ensure that law officers/ legal advisers are conversant with the challenges that cast aspersion on the public procurement process,
- To get acquainted with the negotiation techniques in public private partnership at the NIALS Training Course on Government legal advisers/law officers.
- To discover the regulations relating to the financial activities of government at the NIALS Training Course on Government legal advisers/law officers.
TARGET PARTICIPANTS - Private Legal Practitioners (particularly those in commercial law, civil and criminal law practice), Lawyers in Banks, Insurance Companies, Mortgage Institutions, Regulatory Agencies, Company Secretaries, Academics, Labour Unionists, Legal Advisers, Judges of various Courts, Magistrates, State Counsel, Law Officers in Government Agencies, Administrative Officers in Government Ministries and Parastatals, Law Enforcement Officials, Administrative Officers in Private Organisations and Companies, as well as other interested participants.
TOPICS TO BE TREATED - The topics designed for the Course include:
- The role of the legal adviser/law officer in the 21st century,
- Mainstreaming the SDGs into Legal and Institutional reform,
- Negotiation techniques public private partnerships,
- Administrative rule making and enforcement,
- Public financing and the law,
- Legislative analysis and legal writing;
- Writing effective policy memos;
- Government and private sector relations;
- The role of a legal adviser in public procurement;
- Ratification and enforcement of international treaties;
- ICT and advancement of legal practice.
COURSE SCHEDULE - The Course is scheduled to hold as follows:
- Venue: Rock View Hotel, Wuse 2, Abuja
- Date: 21-23 May, 2018
- Time: 9.00 am daily (Registration will commence at 8:30am on 21 May, 2018).
COURSE FEE - The Course Fee is N120, 000 (one hundred and twenty thousand naira only). The fee is inclusive of VAT and WHT and covers course materials, tea and lunch only. For information on how to make payment, kindly visit http://nials.edu.ng/index.php/courses/remita-payment-guide .
REGISTRATION - Pre-registration of this Course is necessary. To register please fill the registration form below.