A Steering Committee for the elaboration of Administration of criminal Justice Rules was on October 9 inaugurated
by Hon Mr. Justice Ishaq Bello the Chief Judge of the FCT. Technical support is being given to the Committee by NIALS in execution of a grant from the MacArthur Foundation on the Implementation of the ACJA 2015. The Committee is tasked with developing Rules of Court under Section 490 and other provisions of the ACJA, 2015 with particular reference to speedy dispensation of justice, case management and implementation of the Act generally.
Its membership comprises –
1. Hon Justice Ishaq Bello, Chief Judge, FCT High Court - Chairman
2. Hon. Justice Salisu Garba - Vice Chairman
3. Hon Justice Jude Okeke - Member
4. Hon Justice Olasumbo Goodluck - Member
5. Professor Adedeji Adekunle, SAN, DG, NIALS - Member
6. Professor Peter Akper, SAN - Member
7. Professor Akinseye George, SAN - Member
8. Dr Gbolahan Adeniran (ROL Office of VP) - Member
9. Mr Rodney Adzuanaga - Member
10. Barbara Maigari, Partners West Africa - Member
11. Hartmut Zander, GIZ - Member
In his inauguration address the Chief Judge pointed that the ACJA 2015 is the first piece of legislation which has enjoyed rapid adoption by states of the federation due to its innovative solutions for revamping the Nigerian criminal justice system. He observed further that when drafted the rules, will strengthen the hands and position of the courts in implementing the provisions of the ACJA. Earlier in his welcome address Prof Adedeji Adekunle, SAN (DG, NIALS) stated that the approach of the Committee in preparing the Rules for the Implementation of the ACJA will be broad-based to ensure wide acceptance by all stakeholders. He acknowledged the support of the MacArthur Foundation and other grantees of the Foundations Criminal Justice cohort in the execution of the project.